Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Serbia and the City of Novi Sad.
TYPE OF COMPETITION
With reference to participants, the competition is international.
With reference to the type, the competition is public – general with invitations.
With reference to the task, the competition is design preparation.
With reference to the form, the competition is in one phase.
With reference to the manner and way of participation, the competition is anonymous.
SUBJECT AND PURPOSE OF THE COMPETITION
The subject of the competition is the preparation of conceptual architectural design for the construction of the new building for judicial authorities (with the underground passenger corridor - connection with the existing building of judicial authorities located at the opposite side of Radnicka Street), city authorities and public garage facilities along Radnicka Street in Novi Sad.
The purpose of the competition is to challenge programme assumptions in the Programme for Detail Regulation Plan of the part of the site earmarked as the general town centre along Radnicka Street (Detail Regulation Plan of the Sports and Business Centre "Vojvodina"), as well as spatial-functional examination of physical structures and space organization (investigation of morphological and programme capacities of the site) in line with provided urbanistic parameters and the design brief. For the building with specific architectural programme, the competition participants should provide the best quality architectural solution in line with the existing and prospective feature of the site according to provided urban parameters and/or rules for development and construction, their professional vision and needs of future beneficiaries.
COMPETITION DOCUMENTS PROVIDED TO COMPETITORS
Participants in the competition may order and take over the competition programme and drawings at the Public Enterprise for City Construction and Development Novi Sad, Novi Sad, 3, Stevana Branovackog Street, with the receipt that 2,000.00 RSD have been credited to the account of the JP Zavod za izgradnju grada Novi Sad number 840–351647–62
Only the authors who have officially taken over original drawings may take part in the competition.
The right to participate at the Competition is granted to architects from the territory of the Republic of Serbia, as well as from other countries, and to the invited authors.
The invited authors are:
- John Pawson, London
- Prof. Kolhoff Generalplanungs – GmbH, Berlin
- Boris Podrecca, Atelier Podrecca, Vienna
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED BY COMPETITORS
The competitors are obliged to submit the following enclosures :
1. Layout plan with the spatial concept of the building and garage facilities with surroundings, levelling and elevations in the scale 1:500
2. All drawings anticipated in the competition subject (design) with clear presentation of the solution which shows planimetry and shape of dimensions, land use, functional units, anticipated communication with the existing building (underground passage) and landscape design in the scale 1:250
3. Typical cross-sections (at least two) clearly defining proposed solution with levels in the scale 1:250
4. All four views of the building (complex) with clearly and readably shown concept of the architectural design, specified materials, contours of adjacent buildings in the scale 1:250
5. Spatial presentation (axonometry) in the scale 1:250
6. Other drawings in line with the authors vision (details, 3D visualisations and the like)
In case graphical presentation do not fit specified format in the expected scale, it is possible to present the whole unit in two sheets (by joining two sheets of the specified format).
- Explanation of architectural-urbanistic spatial, functional and shape concept of the building design with the full overview of contents, indication and use of space and functional units per floors with specified areas, applied materials, manner of processing, traffic solution of the underground garage, "hot" pedestrian communication with the existing building (13 copies)
- Overview of tables with numerical parameters
- Graphical enclosures of the competition project should be technically elaborated, presented in materials suitable for the Jury’s work and presentations.
- For the purpose of printing the Catalogue of Projects, all drawings should be delivered on a CD (not exceeding A4 format in 300dpi, jpg. or tif. formats)
- Competition project should be delivered either in the Serbian language or in the English language.
- All drawings should be in the format 70/100cm.
- Every drawing should be designated by a six digit code in the upper right corner and ordinal number in the bottom right corner.
- All other project enclosures should also contain the code.
- Project enclosures should be delivered in sealed parcels.
- Two sealed envelopes (provided by the Competition Organizers together with the Competition Drawings) should be attached to the competition project).
- The envelope labelled the "AUTHOR" should contain the name of the author (team of authors), the address and manner of award distribution, number of gyro account for the award payment (that is, part of the award and percentage thereof for each individual author in the team) in case the project has been awarded.
- The envelope labelled the "RETURN ADDRESS" should contain the address to which the project will be returned (in case it has been neither awarded nor purchased) and the statement in which the author or the team of authors declare whether they wish their project to be publicly exhibited under the code (anonymously) or under the author’s name.
SUBMISSION OF COMPETITION DESIGNS
The competitors will deliver their projects under the code in sealed parcels with the label "Architectural Design Competition for the General Town Centre along Radnicka Street in Novi Sad" directly to the below specified address not later than at 5.00 p.m. on 12th June 2009:
JP Zavod za izgradnju grada Novi Sad
21000 Novi Sad, 3, Stevana Branovackog Street
When competitions projects are delivered by mail to the above address, the post office dispatch date will be valid for project delivery and the competitors will be obliged to notify the receiver by telegram that the project has been sent (specifying date and hour) and the project must reach the receiver not later than on 15th June 2009.
The starting date of the competition is 25th March 2009.
The deadline for registration and taking over of competition drawings is 24th April 2009.
The competitors may ask questions regarding this Competition until 24th April 2009. The questions should be addressed to the Competition Organizer JP Zavod za izgradnju grada Novi Sad, 21000 Novi Sad, 3, Stevana Branovackog Street or by fax 021 488 93 42.
The Jury’s response to received questions will be distributed to all competitors by the Competition Organizers to the latest until 30th April 2009.
The deadline for the submission of entries is until 5.00 p.m. on 12th June 2009.
The Jury's work will be completed until 29th July 2009.
The competition results and the date for the exhibition of competition projects and the round table will be announced 7 days after the Jury has made the final decision.
AWARDS AND PURCHASE
For this Competition, the Investor has envisaged the following awards and purchases in net amounts:
I AWARD 1,500,000.00 RSD
II AWARD 1,000,000.00 RSD
III AWARD 700,000.00 RSD
Two purchases for 300,000.00 each - 600,000.00 RSD
Compensation for invited authors – 3 x 300,000.00 RSD
When deciding about competition awards, all competitors will be treated equally.
The Jury for the evaluation of submitted projects will take into considerations Competition Announcement, the Rule Book on Competitions, generally accepted professional practice and their personal beliefs and consists of:
1. Vukica Buckovic, Deputy Minister of Justice
2. Dr Jelena Atanackovic Jelicic, Architect, Member of the City Council
3. Prof. Dott. Arch. Paolo Desideri, A.B.D.R. Architetti Associati, Rome
4. Arch. Alfredo Arribas, Alfredo Arribas Arquitectos Asociados, Barcelona
5. Bora Radusinovic, Representative of "DaNS"
6. Donka Stancic, Art Historian, Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments in Novi Sad
7. Slobodan Nadrljanski, President of the District Court in Novi Sad
8. Vanja Vukadinovic, Architect, Public Enterprise "Urbanism", Urban Planning, Development and Research Centre Novi Sad
9. Igor Maras, Architect, Faculty of Technical Science – Department for Architecture and Urbanism Novi Sad
The professional presenters for the competition are:
Darko Polic, Architect, Public Enterprise "Urbanism", Urban Planning, Development and Research Centre Novi Sad
Milena Popov, Architect, Public Enterprise for City Construction and Development Novi Sad
Sandra Veselinov, Architect, Public Enterprise for City Construction and Development Novi Sad
Silvija Kacenberger, Architect, Public Enterprise "Urbanism", Urban Planning, Development and Research Centre Novi Sad
THE JURY’S EVALUATION CRITERIA
The First Phase - REASONS FOR ELIMINATION:
- Failure to comply with specified deadlines and specified manner.
- Failure to deliver all necessary drawings anticipated in the competition announcement and programme.
- Failure to observe anonymity clause.
The Second Phase – EVALUATION OF DESIGNS:
In the second phase, the competition entries which have not been eliminated will be ranked on the basis of the following criteria:
- Originality and aesthetics of the design (architectural-spatial concept and elements of shaped outlines)
- Quality of the connection with the surroundings (new facilities fitting into the existing site, accessibility, solution for the underground pedestrian communication with the existing building of the judicial authorities, landscaping, free spaces...)
- Fulfilment of the Design Brief (accomplished capacities, spatial and functional requirements of the Investor)
- Rationality and cost-effectiveness of the project as a whole (utilization of above ground and underground areas, accomplished capacity of the garage facility)
- Architecture of the complex, constructive elements, structure, materialization, details...
- The payment of awards to authors of competition projects shall entitle the Investor to use the awarded design wholly or partially whereas the payment of purchase price shall entail only partial use.
- The investor shall be obliged to engage the author (authors) of the winning project as a consultant in the preparation of technical (planning) documentation for the relevant site.
- The delivery of a competition project shall imply that a participant has agreed to the terms and conditions of this Competition.
- The competition shall be announced in line with the Rule Book on Competitions in the Area of Architecture and Urbanism which makes an integral part of the Competition terms and conditions.
- In case of disputes arising from this Competition, the Arbitration Commission of the Competition Organizer shall be competent in the first instance, the Court of Honour of the Serbian Chamber of Engineer shall be competent in the second instance and the regular Court shall be competent in the third instance.
- All additional information can be obtained form the Competition Organizer – JP Zavod za izgradnju grada Novi Sad, 21000 Novi Sad, 3, Stevana Branovackog Street, at the telephone number 021 4889 228 (www.zigns.rs), or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org